Thursday, April 16, 2009

Spring is when life's alive in everything

After completing a project that I started, had to stop and then had to restart to finish, I was in the mood for some instant gratification.  I have had the task of knitting a soaker for my son on my to-do list for quite some time.  We use cloth diapers at home and it costs 100 dkk to buy a cheap soaker.  For me to knit one, it takes about half a skein of Peruvian highland wool, which is about 10 dkk.  It’s hard to argue for putting off such a task if the savings is so large.  So after 3 hours of work, I have this:

P1010047 I don’t think that’s too bad, but just before I started knitting, I had folded laundry, emptied the dishwasher, vacuumed and then fed, bathed and changed the baby – three times.  So after all this and then 3 hours of knitting, my son protested the idea of sleeping and I decided that it would be a good idea to go for a walk in order to rock him to sleep.  During our walk, I guess the fresh spring air got to me into a romantic, mushy feeling and I brought my camera with me so we could take pictures of some of the things we experienced.  I came up with the following:

5 Ways To Know Spring Has Hit Denmark

Spring flowers and bulbs begin to come up: This includes, but is not exclusive to wild pansies (as in the picture below), daffodils, hyacinths, snow drops and the flowering peach tree in the back yard

P1010046Confirmations: when you live so close to a church, you start to wonder if you are actually hearing church bells or if your ears are ringing from the constant ceremonies.

Wildlife returns to the wildlife preserve in your backyard that you didn’t know was there: Honestly, we bought this house two years ago and didn’t find out about until just recently that the land behind our house is a reserve for endangered birds – really… No wonder there is so much noise in the morning these days.

P1010043

Lambs make an appearance in the paddock: sweet little lambs make their first appearance around Easter Sunday and fill the paddock between the properties around the wildlife preserve and the wildlife preserve itself.  (Side note: as a knitting, you do have one thought… yarn…)

P1010044

And finally, the village is full of nasty mommies out for walks hoping the fresh spring air and sunshine will help their heavy eyes winter babies fall asleep:P1010045

No comments:

Post a Comment