Friday, April 24, 2009

Booty-lishous

So the spring weather is coming and it’s perhaps more even now more important for small guys to have warm footwear since it’s too warm to pack them into head-to-toe snowsuits that cover their feet.  My little man has outgrown the lovely brown corduroy slippers I bought for him a month ago, so I have made him another set of slippers based on a Garnstudio pattern:

Booty-lishous (my model had just received a vaccination and is running a fever.  He therefore in provoking his right NOT to model for me but ensures any readers that he is as stoked as any baby can possibly be about my latest creation)

I did two things that deviated from the pattern:

1. I chose to work with a single string of Peruvian highland wool instead of the recommended drops alpaca.  I think this wool felts much better and you end up with a much warmer end result.

2. After knitting the first booty, I noticed that the directions they have written for the addition of short rows left noticeable holes in my work.  This went away after felting, but I would highly suggest trying the following instead of what’s written in the directions on Garnstudio.com:

  • Knit out the 16 rows as described.
  • Leave the 16th stitch on the left needle
  • Work the 15 stitches back to the beginning of the work
  • Work a complete row

These directions allow you to work the increase so that the height of the rows gradually increase over the 17th to 15th stitch as opposed to jumping the height of two rows over two stitches (leaving a hole).  Don’t know if that makes sense but it’s worth trying in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment