Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Happy Birthday to ME

 

Happy Birthday

A little miracle happened some years ago on June 3rd.  Me.  :o) Ha ha.  I am usually not a huge fan of my birthday – well, maybe that is a bit harsh to say.  My birthday has never meant anything to me since I was a small child and it was the one day a year that was reserved for gifts, friends and sugary cakes and was somehow magical in its own way.  Since then, the magic rubbed off and the fun became tarnished with the ins and outs of daily life. 

This year things are different.  My first thought was to write “things seem different” but they don’t “seem” different.  They are different.  I am different.  I have been struggling with a depression for years and perhaps on top of the daily hum-drum of life, the depression made the concept of reserving the day to celebrate my existence, which in itself felt like an unreasonable burden at times, seemed foreign.  This year, however, I feel like there is something to celebrate.

The day started off well and just got better from there.  My husband, daughter and son woke me up with a rousing round of the birthday song, edited to include the lines “you look like a monkey and you smell like one too.”  I was treated to a wonderful breakfast, opened presents and then my daughter was off to school.  My husband had taken the day off from work so we used the day to go on a 2 hour walk through the forest and down to the ocean.  After that, we had lunch in the park, went for a walk in the local farmer’s market and I was bought some chocolates.  To round off the trip, I bought myself a little yarn from Rok og Uld on Skomagergade in Roskilde. On our way home, we picked up my daughter and came home to eat cake and enjoy a lazy sunny afternoon watching Star Wars The Phantom Menace and surf the internet. 

I’ve been busy over the past few days with other knitting related projects and will include that in another blog post now that I can sit back, digest the strawberry cake in my belly and wait for the dinner and red wine to come this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment